Orgeat is a sweet, almond flavoured syrup and an essential ingredient in many classic tiki drinks, although it is not limited to this one genre of cocktails. You can buy this off the shelf but it turns out it isn’t too hard to make your own orgeat at home.
- 250 g Raw Almonds
- 350 g Sugar
- 1.5 cups Water
- 2 dashes Orange Flower Water
- 30 ml White Rum
- Blend almonds until they are finely ground
- Heat the sugar and water together in a saucepan on the stove on a medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves
- Bring the sugar syrup to a boil for ariund three minutes and then add in the ground almonds
- Simmer for another few minutes, then gradually bring the temperature up to medium/high
- Remove the pan from the heat just before it starts to boil and cover with a lid.
- Leave the mixture to infuse in the pot for at least 3 hours
- After this, strain the mixture through a sieve lined with muslin, squeezing all of the oils out of the almonds before discarding them
- Funnel the mixture into a sterilized jar or bottle, add in the orange flower water and rum and shake to combine
This recipe should make around 500 ml of orgeat and should last in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
Want more tiki recipes? Check out the others in this series.